What is TRiO/SSS?
TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) is a comprehensive program of intensive support services, funded by the U.S. Department of Education, which is designed to increase retention and graduation rates and to facilitate transfer from SEARK to a 4-year college or university.
The purpose of the SSS program is to increase the number of disadvantaged low-income college students, first-generation college students, and college students with disabilities who successfully complete a program of study at the postsecondary level.
Who is eligible?
- First-Generation College Student (neither parent/guardian has Bachelor’s degree) and/or
- Low Income (based on Federal Income Guidelines) and/or
- Student with Disabilities (verification required)
- Academic, Career, and Transfer Counseling/Advising
- Personal Educational Planning
- Tutorial Services (by appointment/availability)
- Financial Aid and Scholarships Information and Guidance
- Academic Success Workshops
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
- Pell Supplemental Grant Aid Awards (based on eligibility of funds)
Application to TRiO/SSS:
To participate in the Student Support Services program at SEARK, you must apply and be accepted to the program. Applications are available in the SSS office located in the Student Affairs Building, or may be downloaded here.
To meet federal TRiO eligibility requirements, you must meet one of the following:
- Have low taxable family income OR
- Be a first generation college student (which means neither of your parents hold a 4-year degree) OR
- Have a documented disability.
Additionally, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident AND
- Have a need for academic support.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our SEARK SSS program is funded to provide services to 160 students each year. Once you are accepted to participate in the program, you are expected to continue taking advantage of the comprehensive services we offer until your graduation and/or transfer to a 4-yr college. You are expected to stay in touch with our staff throughout your enrollment at SEARK.
Contact TRiO/SSS Staff:
Nancy Pearce, Program Director
Terry Harden, Education Counselor
Katrina Tate, Language Arts Specialist
Russel Carnes, Math Specialist
Errica Buckhanan, Administrative Specialist
This page may require adobe reader click here to download it.