ADMINSTRATIVE BULLETIN #11 August 1, 2010
SUBJECT: Non-Smoking and Tobacco-Free Facility
Smoking and tobacco use are prohibited in all facilities and areas of the Southeast Arkansas campus with no exception. This includes, but is not limited to, all indoor and outdoor areas and properties. Indoor areas and properties include, but are not limited to, all common work areas, hallways, college-owned or -leased vehicles, garages, restrooms, cafeteria or dining areas, employee lounges, conference and meeting rooms, and all other enclosed areas in the workplace. Outdoor areas include, but are not limited to, parking lots, grounds, rooftops, courtyards, entrance and exit ways, and any other areas of the College campus. This policy applies to all faculty, staff, consultants, contractors, and visitors.
For purposes of this policy, “college campus” or “campus” includes those lands located in Jefferson County, occupied or controlled by Southeast Arkansas College. Any facilities occupied or controlled by Southeast Arkansas College that are not on the college campus as defined above continue to be designated no smoking facilities.
For purposes of this policy, “smoking” means inhaling, exhaling, or burning any tobacco product, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and any other lit tobacco products.
For purposes of this policy, “tobacco use” means the personal use of any tobacco product, whether intended to be lit or not, which shall include smoking, as defined above, as well as the use of an electronic cigarette or any other device intended to simulate smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco, including snuff; chewing tobacco; smokeless pouches; any other form of loose-leaf, smokeless tobacco; and the use of unlit cigarettes, cigars, and pipe tobacco.
Persons will be informed of this policy through:
- Signs posted in appropriate areas throughout the college campus
- Campus e-News newsletter
- E-mail communication to all employees and students
- Employee and student handbooks
Persons found in violation of this policy may receive a warning, citation, and possible expulsion and/or dismissal. The responsibility for the enforcement and communication of this policy rests with all members of the college community.
Visitors, contractors, and other individuals on campus who are in violation of the policy should be reminded of the policy and asked to comply by discarding the tobacco product.
All staff, faculty, and students violating the policy should be reminded of the policy and asked to comply by discarding the tobacco product.
- If a student refuses to comply with the policy, the Vice President of Student Affairs Office shall be contacted. That office will follow up with the student regarding the policy. Continuing violations may also result in appropriate disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from college.
- If a staff or faculty member refuses to comply with the policy, the immediate supervisor shall be notified. The immediate supervisor will follow up with the employee to remind him/her about the policy and available resources. Continuing violations may also result in appropriate disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Smoking Cessation Program
The Nursing and Allied Health Division will enroll any individual in a comprehensive smoking cessation program. All employees, who are interested, are encouraged to learn more about this program. For more information, call 870-543-5917.