Entrance and Exit Counseling
Entrance Counseling Instructions
Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling Instructions
Federal Student Loan Borrowers,
Federal regulations require all borrowers at SEARK College complete loan entrance counseling each year. Therefore, you must complete federal loan entrance counseling regardless of whether or not you have had loans in the past at other institutions. To satisfy this requirement follow and complete the steps outlined below.
Steps for Federal Direct Entrance Counseling
- Go to https://studentloans.gov
Sign-In using your Federal Student Aid PIN
- If you have forgotten your PIN, you will be directed to the U.S. Department
of Education PIN site at www.PIN.ed.gov
Sign-In complete, you will see, “Welcome to StudentLoans.gov” click on Complete Entrance Counseling.
What to Do:
Read the content and answer the questions
- You will need about 30 minutes to complete the counseling session
- Read the Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities and
- Print the Counseling Completion Verification page and attach to your completed Federal Direct Loan Program - Notification of Interest.
- Submit the Notification of Interest and Entrance Counseling Confirmation to the Financial Aid Office.
- Be sure to read all documents carefully and keep copies of all documents in a secure file folder for future reference.
Exit Counseling Instructions
Federal regulations require ALL BORROWERS at Des Moines Area Community College to attend loan exit counseling session when they are either graduating, leaving school permanently, or do not intend to attend any school again for at least six (6) months or more.
You may satisfy this requirement on this Web site: https://studentloans.gov, click on Exit Counseling, and then on Exit Counseling on the next page.
- You will need to log in using your Federal Student Aid information. You then must read through the information and complete the short quiz. The Exit Counseling session may take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
- After you submit your quiz, a summary of your quiz results will be posted.
- Read through your results and click the PROCEED button at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the process by following the on-screen instructions and remember to click the PROCEED button afterwards.
- Finally, click the SHOW PAGE FOR PRINTING button.
- You will need to print out the final page, sign that page (anywhere on the bottom), and return to the Financial Aid Office at your campus.
If you do not pass at least 12 of the 15 questions correctly, you can attempt the test three times. If you do not pass the quiz (a different set of questions each time), then you will visit the Financial Aid Office of the campus you attend to complete an Exit Counseling Booklet.
An Exit Counseling Booklet will be available on each campus for students without Internet access. You will need to complete, sign, and date the Borrower Information & Rights and Responsibilities Summary Checklist form included in the booklet.