This Sterile Processing program is designed to provide the student the knowledge and skills required for entry-level work as a sterile processing technician. The program provides an overview of the Sterile Processing and Distribution profession and develops fundamental concepts and comprehension principles necessary for professional proficiencies. The course emphasizes duties in sterile processing technology, aseptic procedures, equipment management, safety, quality assurance, HIPAA regulations, proper decontamination, sterilization and packaging techniques. The sterile processing technician perform essential functions to support the medical and surgical care of patients. Upon completion of this course, students will be prepared to take the Certification Board for Sterile (Processing Distribution (CBSPD) certification exam.
Counselors and faculty advisors are available to aid students in course selection and future planning.
For students who qualify, financial aid consists of funds made available from federal, state, and local sources. Scholarships, grants, loans, and Veteran's benefits are all available to qualified students.
Southeast Arkansas College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
NOTE: Random drug screening may be utilized at any time during the course of the program at the students’ expense.
Students enrolled in Allied Health programs with a clinical component will be assessed a fee for malpractice insurance.
This program is currently not open to new applications.
High School (or GED Equivalency) Diploma plus general and special requirements listed below:
1. Completion of all SEARK admission requirements.
2. Provide one or all of the following test scores:
- Accuplacer Reading score of at least 75
- Next Generation Accuplacer Reading score of at least 250 ACT Reading score of at least 19
- COMPASS Reading score of at least 83, OR
- Completion of a courses in developmental reading with a letter grade of C or better.
3. Completion of the Sterile Processing Application for Program Admission.
4. Current CPR Certification (American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider or American Red Cross Profession Rescuer).
5. Drug Screen and/or Criminal Background Check
|COMPLETION AWARD: Certificate of Proficiency||4|
Applicants with special needs due to disability must make this fact known prior to admission, so that necessary accommodations can be made. Because of the nature of the profession, it may not always be possible to accommodate students with severe disabilities. Please refer to Functional Ability Requirements.